Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Perfectly Imperfect Boro Bag


I'm thrilled to announce that I'll be teaching a multi-day workshop in which students will
start, and possibly complete, their own versions of my Perfectly Imperfect Boro Bag.
This class is all about big, boro-like stitching, in an easy-going and beautiful environment.

The class will be held at the John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, NC.  Dates are
May 10 - 15, 2020.  Signup opens today!!    https://www.folkschool.org/

We'll make a small sample at the start of class.  The sample can then be used throughout
the week for you to try out different threads before deciding to use them on your bag.  

Bring a sense of humor and enjoy this low-pressure class. You might finish the
bag in class, you might not!  Roll with the flow!   Finishing instructions will be provided.
Registrants will be sent a supply list.  Note: I intend to have some threads, ie Gima,
available for purchase during the class.  I'll also bring lots of fabric scraps to share.
Contact me if you have questions:  fiberotto <at> gmail <dot> com



Shown below: a finished tote bag.  The bag is approx. 14" x 14" (+ handles).
Underneath that photo are photos of each side of the bag before it was assembled.
Note the variety of fabric scraps and thread types/colors.  Lining and handles are added
by machine after the hand stitching is done.










Thin quilt batting is cut for the next bag.  Rectangle will be
the base of the body, strips will provide cushioning in the handles.




















A bag in progress (see below):























I love to incorporate map prints and other prints featuring
designs with text.



















This bag in progress features a lot of blue prints:






All text and images ©️Suzanne Myers Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Wall Quilt Show, Portage, WI

I have a quilt in the current Wall Quilt Show at the Portage Center for the Arts!  See my photos. My quilt is titled “In the Shade of the Ol...